How to Clean the ECOsmarte Electrodes:
The electrodes in a pool system need to be cleaned 2 times per year. Do not take the electrodes out of the chamber to clean them - the entire chamber is removed and placed in an acid and water solution.
1) Make sure the pump and filter are off and the valves are closed.
2) Slip the wires off of the metal tabs on the outside of the chamber and unscrew the chamber from the return line. If the unions don't loosen by hand, try a strap wrench. Be careful not to crack the chamber.
3) In a 5 gallon bucket, mix a solution of 5 parts water to 1 part acid. Pour the water in first and then the acid.
Note: Use only liquid acid to clean the electrodes. Muriatic acid (also known as hydrochloric acid) is recommended. Acid Magic is a muriatic acid replacement with less fumes. It is available here at the Online Store.
4) Place the entire electrode chamber in the solution for 10-15 minutes. Allow the solution to do the work.
5) If the chamber isn't clean after 10-15 minutes let the chamber soak longer, but not longer than about 1/2 hour. Do not scrub or scrape the electrodes. Using tools to scrape the electrodes will damage them.
6) Remove the chamber from the solution and rinse in fresh water.
7) Replace the chamber inline and hand tighten the unions.
8) Replace the wires on the chamber: red and green wires go to the copper electrodes and the black and while wires go to the titanium electrodes.