Green Water In A Pool
Items needed to determine the cause of green water in a pool:
- pH Test Kit or Digital Test Kit
- Phosphate Test Kit or Digital Test Kit
- Liquid Muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric Acid) or Acid Magic (Muriatic Acid Replacment)
- Phosphate Remover (may be needed to remove phosphates)
- Non-Metal Algaecide - 1 qt
- Non-Chlorine Shock (Potassium Monopersulfate) - 5 lbs Per 20,000 Gallons (x 2 for two possible doses)
1) Test Phosphates. If they are present use a recommended phosphate remover.
To Eliminate Algae:
1) Begin lowering the pH to 6.6 - 7.0.
2) Apply 1 quart non-metal algaecide during daylight hours. If possible, apply the algaecide in the morning which is when algae feeds.
3) Wait 12 hours. Then put in non-chlorine shock (potassium monopersulfate), using the formula 5 lbs per 20,000 gallons of pool water.
4) Wait 24 hours. If the pool isn't 90% clear add another dose of the non-chlorine shock.