How And When To Replace Sand
Items needed to replace sand in a sand filter:
- Pool Sand or GlassPack Filter Media
- Pea Gravel (1/4 of the filter pack. Is included with the GlassPack Filter Media)
When sand gets to be about 3 years old it needs to be replaced.
Glasspack Pool Filter Media is guaranteed for 5 years and can go as many as 10 years in some cases.
Rather than replace the old sand in your filter with new sand - upgrade to GlassPack filter media.
How to replace:
1) Remove the filter cover
2) Put something (like cardboard) over the exposed vertical pipe to prevent media from getting into it.
3) Remove the sand using a wet vac.
4) Check laterals to make sure none are broken.
5) Add pea gravel evenly to cover laterals. To about 1" above the laterals.
6) Add sand (or GlassPack filter media) to about where the filter starts to curve inward.
7) Remove the material that was covering the vertical pipe.
8) Put the filter cover back on
9) Backwash until the water is clear. (If installing GlassPack Filter Media, it won't be necessary to backwash)
10) Put the filter in service.