How To Replace Filter Media Well POE
Items Needed To Change The Filter Media In A Well POE:
- Respiration Mask
- 1 Cube Activated Carbon
- 1 Cube Birm
- Piece Of Cardboard (something to place over the discharge tubes in the center of the tank to prevent media from getting into them)
In a well POE, the birm tank has to be changed first, then the carbon tank. The same process is used for both tanks.
The Birm Tank is the first one in the plumbing line.
The Carbon Tank is the second one in the plumbing line.
1) Turn off the water to the house and shut valves to prevent leaking during maintenance.
2) Unplug the Filter Valve Head. Unscrew the valve head and place it somewhere safe.
3) Unscrew the plumbing from the filter tank and take the tank somewhere with airflow and a way to wash out the tank.
4) Put something over the discharge tube in the center of the tank to prevent media from getting into it.
4) Use a shopvac to remove the old carbon media being careful not to crush the basket at the bottom of the discharge tube.
5) Wash out the tank with a hose.
6) Take the tank back to it's location.
7) Carefully pour in the pre-measured gravel base, 20 lbs of 1/4" gravel.
7) Pour in the new filter media being careful not to damage the discharge tube basket.
8) Wipe off the carbon dust from around the top of the tank.
9) Screw the valve head back onto the tank and plug it in.
10) Set the valve head.
11) Open the valves and turn the water to the house back on to put the system back in service.