When To Replace The Copper Electrodes In A Spa System
The copper electrodes in a spa system will need to be replaced about every 5-7 years.
There are 3 ways to know if your copper electrodes need to be replaced.
- The copper electrodes are loose and wobbly on the screws
- They have fallen off of the screws
- They are less than about 1/16" thick
The life of the copper electrodes in a spa system can be severely shortened by a couple factors:
- Low Calcium - Calcium under the recommended 400 ppm will cause the water to leach minerals from several parts of the tub, including the copper electrodes.
- Phosphates - The presence of phosphates in the water causes very fast electrode wear. If phosphates are over 100 ppm the following phosphate removers is recommended.